February 16, 2011

Book 14. Impossible.

Title: Impossible
Author: Nancy Werlin
Pages: 384
Date Started: Feb 9th, 2011
Date Finished: Feb 10th, 2011

Did you like it?  IS THAT SERIOUSLY A QUESTION?  Before this book I'd never picked up a novel by Nancy Werlin before. One. This book is beautifully written. Lucy is a strong female lead, and in every way that she could possibly fall down, Zach is there to pick her up. I think as much as I loved Lucy and her struggles, I loved Zach more for being there to help her stand tall, for reminding her of what was important and for being completely selfless in every aspect that involved Lucy. Not that I would actually want a man like that, but the love story of it made it very very appealing. Not to mention that this novel is loosely based on "Scarborough Fair" by Simon and Garfunkle...man was I sold this whole book through. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. And though a lot of the subjects touched on in the novel I have personal demons with, it was beautifully done. I would easily give this book a 5.5 out of 6, if not the whole 6 points. Congrats Nancy Werlin, you write beautiful/touching/amazing books.

What's it about? 
Lucy Scarborough is only 17, but she carries the burden of a curse that has already struck down several women in her family. Each of her afflicted ancestors failed at completing three seemingly impossible tasks, and each succumbed to madness at the birth of her first child. Facing this tragic fate, Lucy braces herself for a losing battle. Mercifully, she has allies in her struggle: intensely sympathetic foster parents and her loyal childhood friend Zach. 
Basically, Lucy knows nothing of her families curse. Which really sucks for her. Her biologically mother is "crazy" and thus isn't much help to Lucy either. So she ends up pregnant and figures out that her mother wasn't always crazy and that there are three tasks she has to complete in order to make it so she doesn't turn out the same way as her mother, or her mother's mother, or her mothers' mother's mother and so on. Lucy is backed by a great team, I would call them. Her foster parents are super supportive, even when their idea of making the problem go away is something that Lucy would never agree to in a million years, they don't fight her about it, they just help her do what she needs to do. And Zach, oh my goodness. I'm glad that they had this huge foundation of friendship, it made everything he did soo much better, at least in my eyes. He was a huge part of my loving this novel as much as I did. Plus Lucy being so...badass through the whole thing. No, don't get me wrong, she didn't go out and fight evil creatures like a lot of other female leads these days, she fought for a normal life, and love, and her unborn daughter, and her family and all the women that came before her. Amazing book. Seriously.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Read 2016

Alicia's bookshelf: read-2016

Sirensong
really liked it
tagged: faerie-tales, from-library, and read-2016
The Girl with All the Gifts
it was amazing
tagged: zombieees, from-library, and read-2016
The Darkest Part of the Forest
really liked it
tagged: read-2016, faerie-tales, and from-library

goodreads.com
Copyright © Alicia's BookLust | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com