October 1, 2015

September 2015 Wrap Up

Wow! September is over already. It's hard to believe how fast the year is flying by, but with autumn right around the corner I couldn't be more excited.

September was a pretty good month for me and reading. As you can see, I finished 9 books this month. Admittedly, five of them are re-reads, but I was in a real reading slump at the beginning of this year. Because of that slump I decided to reinvest myself in characters I already know I love to help me along in new worlds. I know it's odd, but it's actually working. As of yesterday, I only need 4 more books to complete my reading goal for the year.

Now, let's get to the books, because that's what this whole post is about! All links lead to Goodreads.

House of Leaves
Author: Mark Z. Danielwoski
Rating: 4/5

"The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams. (via)

My Thoughts 

 This book was so freaking mind-blowing. The introduction sets readers up for the very intimidating 709 page monster that is this novel. Following the introduction, which is written by one of the stories main characters Johnny Truant, we readers are immersed in Zampano's telling of Will Navidson's incredible journey of making a life in his family's new home. While learning the story of how the house affects it's inhabitants, we readers learn how the story affects Johnny's life as he discovers, reads, edits, and compiles the story that is the House of Leaves.
It was a really good read, and I am glad that I waited so long to read it. I first obtained a copy about 8 years ago, but I don't feel like I would have appreciated the story as much as I did if I had read it at that time in my life. Some of the more "non-fiction" parts of the book that were inserted by Zampano so the reader would have a more full understanding of the House on Ash Tree Lane were a bit of a drag for me, but I do agree that they improved the complete understanding of the novel. The novel is very dark, but beautiful and compelling. When I wasn't reading it I felt like I needed to be reading it.
 

Blood Noir
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #16
Rating: 4/5

"A favor for Jason, vampire hunter Anita Blake's werewolf lover, puts her in the center of a fullblown scandal that threatens master-vampire Jean- Claude's reign, and makes her a pawn in an ancient vampire queen's new rise to power. (via)


My Thoughts 

 I began re-reading these novels this year to kick my reading slump. I wanted to go back to a character that I used to love but was falling out of love with bit by bit with each addition to the series. Anita Blake owns a small part of my heart, and she probably always will. But, I am not in love with her gained vampire powers.
This novel was solid though. Hamilton decides to send Anita and Jason to a small town America for a vigil at Jason's fathers sick bed. While they are visiting small town America, Anita is thrust into her shapeshifter problems when the mommy of all vampires decides now is the time to begin making Anita suitable for her servant. Overall, the characters were true to their creation and remained static through this installment.

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
Author: Stieg Larsson
Series: Millennium #3
Rating: 5/5

"Lisbeth Salander - the heart of Larsson's two previous novels - lies in critical condition, a bullet wound to her head, in the intensive care unit of a Swedish city hospital. She's fighting for her life in more ways than one: if and when she recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.

Once upon a time, she was a victim. Now Salander is fighting back. (via)

 

 My Thoughts

 First, I love LOVE Lisbeth Salander. Her character is the entire reason I read these novels. This series is one that I am ashamed to say I saw in movie form first. The Swedish version of the movies are phenomenal and I recommend them to everyone. The novels, however, are FAR MORE AWESOME.
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is the third installment in the millenium series and so far my favorite. It picks up right where The Girl Who Played With Fire ends. In this installment Lisbeth is mostly in the hospital or in a secure ward, but that doesn't stop her skills. With the help of her faithful friends, she stands up against the Swedish Government and doesn't take no guff. I really loved the political aspect of this novel. The relationships that finally took hold in this installment were brilliant and it solidified my love for these characters.
 

Skin Trade
Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #17
Rating: 3/5

"When a vampire serial killer sends Anita Blake a grisly souvenir from Las Vegas, she has to warn Sin City's local authorities what they're dealing with. Only it's worse than she thought. Police officers and one executioner have been slain-paranormal style. (via)

 

My Thoughts

 Anita is a bad ass cop in this novel. However, the rest of the characters fell a bit flat for me. Edward was not the sociopath that I'd come to love. He became this horrible touchy-feely dude trying to keep Anita safe from Olaf. And for Olaf, why the hell is Anita scared of him? She's taken on so many kick butt vampires that I just cannot comprehend how Anita can be so terrified of a human. Then we had to bring in her arduer and let her have sex with more new men! gah. I was just a little irritated through this whole book. She ran away from her power base to play scared human to one human, two shapeshifters, and two vampires. It was exhausting.
I remember in my first read through of the series this was about the point that I began to lose interest. I can feel it happening again.

Wondrous Strange
Author: Leslie Livingston
Series: Wondrous Strange Trilogy #1
Rating: 3/5

"Seventeen-year-old actress Kelley Winslow thinks that playing the role of the fairy queen Titiana in a production of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream could be her lucky break - if she can pull it off. But when she meets the handsome Sonny Flannery, Kelley has to face the shocking truth that the world of Faeries is all too real - and that she an unwitting part of it. Sonny warns Kelley that she is no mere mortal, and that she is being haunted by powerful forces from the Faerie realm. Now, Kelley must come to terms with her heritage - and her growing feelings for Sonny - if she wants to save not only herself, but also the human world that she holds dear. (via)

 

 My Thoughts

 Another Fairy story. I think in my life I have read hundreds of fairy stories. But this one was different because of the characters. Between Kelly's dry sarcasm, Sonny's extreme confidence (except around Kelly), and Tyff's witty style I really enjoyed these characters. Kelly's life seems so normal until one night in Central Park she tries to save a drowing horse. After she wakes up on the beach of the lake she was trying to save the horse from, her life takes a turn for the more confusing. Suddenly she has so much that is expected of her, along with a mystery to unravel.
Well, let's just say the mystery takes all three novels to completely unfurl. It was a good, quick, and imaginative read. However, because of how the relationships developed so quickly without a good solid foundation to build upon I really didn't feel invested in the story. I need more character development in a novel to really love it.
 
Darklight
Author: Leslie Livingston
Series: Wondrous Strange Trilogy, #2
Rating: 3/5

"Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt.

Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself.

When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to risk everything to claim that power.
Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting allegiances, Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart. (via)

 

 My Thoughts

This was a strong second book. I enjoyed it because the characters that were not as believable in the first installment were more so in the second. Kelly really finds her backbone and owns her powers. Sonny does whatever it takes to become the hero. And together they uncover more of the mystery behind who is trying to unleash the world of faerie onto New York City. I really loved the character of Puck in these novels. . . twisty character that he is. I also thought that maybe the relationship between Kelly and Sonny would become a little more stable with their growth, but they were both to consumed by what was going on in the world around them to be able to really savor what they had together.
 

Temptestuous
Author: Leslie Livingston
Series: Wondrous Strange Trilogy, #3
Rating: 4/5

""I don't love Sonny Flannery."
That's the lie Kelley Winslow is told to protect the boy she loves from a power he doesn't know he possesses. Devastated, Sonny retreats to a haven for Lost Fae that's hidden deep underneath New York City.
But Kelley's not about to let things end in heartbreak. To get Sonny back, she's got to find out who's after his magick and how to use her own. She's got to uncover who's recruiting Janus Guards to murderously hunt innocent Faerie. She's got to help rebuild the shattered theater company she called family. And she's got to do it all without getting dangerously distracted by the Fenrys Wolf, whose legendary heart of stone seems to melt whenever he's around Kelley. (via)
 

My Thoughts

Tempestuous was explosive. So many plot point were revealed in this installment that at points my jaw was literally hanging open.
Sonny really grows in this installment. From finding out what powers he has, to who his father is, and his real purpose in life, he becomes a very strong character.
Kelly does what she has to in order to survive and keep the people she loves alive. She becomes a very pragmatic character in this novel, but her love still overcomes her pragmatic sensibilities.
The Janus Guard who guards New York from the invasion of Faerie land have grown bored. Because of this, they decide to attack all lost Fey they can find in New York on the supposed orders of King Oberon. When Sonny learns of what is going on, he does his best to help the lost fey survive, but some things are out of his abilities. Especially when the bad guys are after him for his incredible powers. But, in the end, Kelly and Sonny's love defeats even the dragon that is created by the magic of the Greenman.
 
Flirt
Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #18
Rating: 2/5

"Anita Blake has been asked to raise the dead-but the results aren't going to make everybody happy...  (via)

 

My Thoughts

Anita doesn't need any more gosh darn lovers! This is the third (or fourth) Nicky of the series, but hey, at least she finally has a werelion metaphysically bound to her. And she was able to raise another whole cemetery and kill the bad guys (again) with her zombies. But overall, the story line was sad. The bad guys used the loves of Anita's life against her and made her submissive, until they decided to let her feed off of them. After she feeds she basically becomes Uber Anita and defeats the bad guys in 10 pages, after 140 pages of being a victim.
 

The Final Descent
Author: Rick Yancy
Series: Monstrumologist, #4
Rating: 5/5

"Will Henry has been through more that seems possible for a boy of fourteen. He’s been on the brink of death on more than one occasion, he has gazed into hell—and hell has stared back at him, and known his face. But through it all, Dr. Warthrop has been at his side.

When Dr. Warthrop fears that Will’s loyalties may be shifting, he turns on Will with a fury, determined to reclaim his young apprentice’s devotion. And so Will must face one of the most horrific creatures of his monstrumology career—and he must face it alone.

Over the course of one day, Will’s life—and Pellinor Warthrop’s destiny—will lie in balance. In the terrifying depths of the Monstrumarium, they will face a monster more terrible than any they could have imagined—and their fates will be decided.   (via)

 

My Thoughts

I LOVE THIS SERIES!
The ending was just so perfect. The writing was amazing. The characters are flawless. And the monsters, don't even get me started because I will literally squee all over the place. I'm sad that it's over, but I can't wait to reread the series once I have collected them all.
Okay, so this novel takes place in two different time periods happening simultaneously. This allows the reader to fully immerse themselves in why the end is what it is. I don't know exactly how to describe this novel because it is the end of a series and hello, spoilers. But I will say, if you like gothic horror novels about the darkness in all of us, then I suggest you run out to the store IMMEDIATELY and buy this series. Because it is aaaaaMAZing. Serious.
 
Okay. That's all.
Thank you for reading this ridiculously long post. I hope you enjoyed my September Wrap up. If you've read any of these books I would love to discuss them with you, leave a comment and let me know what you think.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Read 2016

Alicia's bookshelf: read-2016

Sirensong
really liked it
tagged: faerie-tales, from-library, and read-2016
The Girl with All the Gifts
it was amazing
tagged: zombieees, from-library, and read-2016
The Darkest Part of the Forest
really liked it
tagged: read-2016, faerie-tales, and from-library

goodreads.com
Copyright © Alicia's BookLust | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com