November 18, 2015

October Wrap-Up

I had another month of reading exclusively from my own bookshelf, which was a goal I set for myself at the beginning of the year.

This month was pretty slow for me, reading wise. I made a goal for myself at the end of September to have all the "Song of Fire and Ice" series that I already own read by the end of the year. This timeline allotted me three whole months to read (1) The Game of Thrones (2) The Clash of Kings (3) A Storm of Swords and (4) A Feast for Crows by the end of the year. This seemed do-able at the time I set the goal.



I thought Game of Thrones was a masterpiece of epic fantasy.  However, I kind of messed up when I watched the television show first. Knowing who was going to die made it difficult for me to make my way through this book. I consistently had to take breaks to reasure myself that no matter how slowly I read, Ned was still going to be killed. For two weeks I completely ignored this novel. In the end, I did finish it and I'm glad I did, because, like always, the book was so much better than anything on the screen could ever be.

Bullet was the second book I started in the month of October, but it was the first one I finished. This is the nineteenth installment in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunters series. The character arcs in this installment were more satisfying to me than in previous installments.  I'm maybe going to start doing review posts so I'll wait to share my thoughts.

The final book I read in October 2015 was "White is For Witching"...and, just, wow! Mind blown. I don't know if it was the writing style, the unreliable narrator, or the confusion about interpersonal relations that really threw me, but I know for certain that I will have to reread this novel to really absorb it's full meaning. The prose was lyrical and extremely vivid and I loved it, but sometimes it was really hard to understand what the author was trying to get across to the reader with the words she chose. However, the book was beautiful and haunting, which was exactly what I was looking for when I picked it up at my local library sale.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Read 2016

Alicia's bookshelf: read-2016

Sirensong
really liked it
tagged: faerie-tales, from-library, and read-2016
The Girl with All the Gifts
it was amazing
tagged: zombieees, from-library, and read-2016
The Darkest Part of the Forest
really liked it
tagged: read-2016, faerie-tales, and from-library

goodreads.com
Copyright © Alicia's BookLust | Powered by Blogger
Design by Blog Oh! Blog | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com